三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

中文USEUROPEAFRICAASIA

Deadly looting in Philippines

( Agencies ) Updated: 2013-11-14 01:21:40

Anger, frustration boil over as relief efforts lag and supplies dwindle

Deadly looting in Philippines

A mother wipes the face of her daughter as they wait for a military plane out of Tacloban, Leyte province, central Philippines on Wednesday. [Photo/Agencies]

Desperation gripped Philippine islands devastated by Typhoon Haiyan as looting turned deadly on Wednesday and survivors panicked over delays in supplies of food, water and medicine. Some resorted to digging up underground water pipes and smashing them open.

Five days after one of the strongest storms ever recorded slammed into cities and towns in the central Philippines, anger and frustration spiked on Wednesday as essential supplies became scarce. Some survivors scrawled signs reading, "Help us".

Controversy has emerged over the death toll. President Benigno Aquino said local officials had overstated the loss of life, saying it was closer to 2,000 or 2,500 than the 10,000 previously estimated. His comments, however, drew skepticism from some aid workers.

Some areas appeared to teeter near anarchy. ANC Television said security forces exchanged fire with armed men amid widespread looting of shops and warehouses for food, water and other supplies in the village of Abucay, part of worst-hit Tacloban in Leyte province.

Military officials were unable to immediately confirm the fighting.

Eight people were crushed to death when looters raided rice stockpiles in a government warehouse in the town of Alangalang, causing a wall to collapse, local authorities said.

Thousands of people stormed the rice warehouse, highlighting the urgent need to get water, food and medical supplies into the increasingly desperate region.

"There's a bit of a logjam, to be absolutely honest, getting stuff in here,'' said Sebastian Rhodes Stampa, from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Other looters still managed to cart away 33,000 bags of rice weighing 50 kg each, said Orlan Calayag, administrator of the state-run grain agency National Food Authority.

Warehouses owned by food and beverage company Universal Robina Corp and drug company United Laboratories were ransacked in the storm-ravaged town of Palo in Leyte, along with a rice mill in Jaro, said Alfred Li, head of the Leyte Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Tacloban city administrator Tecson John Lim said 90 percent of the coastal city of 220,000 people had been destroyed, with only 20 percent of residents receiving aid. Houses were now being looted because warehouses were empty, he said.

"The looting is not criminality. It is self-preservation," Lim said.

Some survivors in Tacloban dug up water pipes in a desperate bid for water.

"We sourced our water from an underground pipe that we have smashed. We don't know if it's safe. We need to boil it. But at least we have something," said Christopher Dorano, 38.

REuTERS—AP

Most Popular
Special

...
...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美人超级乱淫片免费 | 国产伦理一区二区三区 | 一级性生活视频 | 久草美女视频 | 正在播放国产酒店露脸 | 久996视频精品免费观看 | 欧美黄色大片视频 | 久久婷婷综合五月一区二区 | 黄色a级片在线观看 | 久久99精品久久久久久综合 | 欧美一级做a爰片久毛片潮 欧美一级做a爰片免费 | 日本在线国产 | 久热这里只精品99re8久 | 91不卡在线精品国产 | 国产97色在线 | 亚洲 | 免费看大片的 | 高清欧美日韩一区二区三区在线观看 | 国外免费精品视频在线观看 | 成人做爰视频在线观看视频 | 国产吧在线 | 99久热只有精品视频免费观看17 | 国产成人99久久亚洲综合精品 | 欧美日韩不卡视频 | 美女国内精品自产拍在线播放 | 国产精品一 | 啪视频在线 | 免费播放美女一级毛片 | xzl仙踪林一区 | 国产大片在线播放 | 一区二区免费视频 | 91在线精品中文字幕 | 在线观看91精品国产不卡免费 | 国产综合网站 | 日本一级毛片视频无遮挡免费 | 毛片免费看| 香蕉国产一区二区 | 高清免费a级在线观看国产 高清免费毛片 | 丝袜美足国产一区在线 | 亚洲乱码中文字幕久久 | 国产最强大片免费视频 | 一区二区三区免费视频 www |