三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
World / US and Canada

Obama plans 250 more US troops for Syria, boosting force to 300

(Agencies) Updated: 2016-04-25 10:29

Obama plans 250 more US troops for Syria, boosting force to 300

US President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at Schloss Herrenhausen in Hanover, Germany, April 24, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]

HANOVER, Germany/WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama will announce on Monday he plans to send as many as 250 additional US troops to Syria, a sharp increase in the American presence working with local Syrian forces fighting Islamic State militants, US officials said.

The deployment, which will increase US forces in Syria to about 300, aims to accelerate recent gains against Islamic State and appears to reflect growing confidence in the ability of US-backed forces inside Syria and Iraq to claw back territory from the hardline Sunni Islamist group.

Obama will explain his decision in a speech at 11:25 am (0925 GMT) in Hanover, where he discussed the Syria crisis with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Sunday. They will meet with other major European leaders after his remarks.

Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, controls the cities of Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria and is proving a potent threat abroad, claiming credit for major attacks in Paris in November and Brussels in March.

While Obama has resisted putting US troops into Syria, where a five-year civil war has killed at least 250,000 people, he sent 50 US special operations forces to Syria last year in what US officials described as a "counterterrorism" mission rather than an effort to tip the scales in the war.

His decision to boost those numbers was first reported by the Wall Street Journal on Sunday and confirmed an April 1 Reuters report that the Obama administration was considering a significant increase in US forces.

"He (Obama) intends to put in more ... forces to the tune of 250 in Syria," one US official said on Sunday, adding he was unable to break down how many of those would be special operations forces and how many might be medical or intelligence support personnel.

"The president has authorized a series of steps to increase support for our partners in the region, including Iraqi security forces as well as local Syrian forces who are taking the fight to ISIL," said a second Obama administration official.

Obama pledged to wind down wars in the Middle East when he was first elected in 2008. But in the latter part of his presidency, he has found it necessary to keep or add troops to help with conflicts in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.

The president is ending a six-day international trip that began in Riyadh, where he held talks with Gulf Arab monarchs concerned that Washington's commitment to the Middle East had diminished.

After that meeting, Obama sidestepped a question about whether he would add special forces in Syria, saying: "None of the options are good" if political talks fail to end the civil war there.

 

Trudeau visits Sina Weibo
May gets little gasp as EU extends deadline for sufficient progress in Brexit talks
Ethiopian FM urges strengthened Ethiopia-China ties
Yemen's ex-president Saleh, relatives killed by Houthis
Most Popular
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久久国产免费影院 | 国产专区视频在线观看 | 青青草国产青春综合久久 | 九九视频国产 | 一区二区三区免费高清视频 | 亚洲综合久久久久久888 | 日本一区二区在线不卡 | 高清大学生毛片一级 | 久久99热只有视精品6国产 | 国产精品视频人人做人人爱 | 中国xxxx18免费 | 乱人伦精品一区二区 | 制服丝袜中文字幕在线观看 | 在线观看嗯啊成人动作片 | 亚洲免费黄色片 | 免费一级大黄特色大片 | 国产一级一片免费播放 | 亚洲欧美小说色综合小 | 五月天婷婷亚洲 | 91麻豆视频在线观看 | 影音先锋ady69色资源网站 | 久久国产精品二国产精品 | 巨臀中文字幕一区二区视频 | 国产在线观看一区二区三区四区 | 国产精品播放 | 丰满的大乳老师三级在线观看 | 免费看色片网站 | 小视频在线免费观看 | 狠狠色婷婷综合天天久久丁香 | 另类综合视频 | 中文字幕精品一区二区日本大胸 | 小视频在线免费观看 | 香港毛片免费看 | 精品哟啊呦v视频在线观看 精品哟哟国产在线观看 | 欧美亚洲国产精品第一页 | 国产一级淫片免费大片 | 一级毛片免费不卡 | 美女扒开胸罩露出奶了无遮挡免费 | 成人午夜在线视频 | 男女一级毛片免费视频看 | 久久国产精品一区 |