三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
World / Asia-Pacific

Japan considers curtailing whale hunt further

(Agencies) Updated: 2014-04-17 17:11

TOKYO - Japan is considering scrapping a Northwest Pacific whale hunt just days before the fleet's planned departure, media said on Thursday, as the government grapples with its response to an international court ruling against its main whale hunt.

In a blow to Tokyo's decades-old and disputed "scientific whaling" programme, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) last month ordered a halt to its annual hunts in the Southern Ocean, prompting Japan to cancel its 2014-2015 Antarctic hunt, the programme's mainstay, as it pledged to abide by the ruling.

The judgment did not specifically mention Japan's other whaling hunts, one small-scale one off its coastline and the other across a wide swathe of the Northwest Pacific during the spring and summer, with a quota of nearly 300 whales.

But Tokyo, trapped between the demands of pro-whaling lawmakers and international pressure from allies such as the United States, is considering calling off the Pacific hunt too, the Yomiuri Shimbun daily said.

"The government is currently racking its brains about whether or not to allow the Northwest Pacific whaling, set to start on April 22, to take place," the paper said, adding that the timing - with US President Barack Obama scheduled to arrive in Japan on April 23 - was unfortunate.

But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference that nothing had been decided.

"All aspects are being considered as the government studies the ruling and decides how it will respond," added Suga, who earlier this week said a decision about the whaling programme would likely come soon.

The ICJ's judgment centred on the Antarctic hunt, which has a catch quota of just over 1,000 whales - including minke, fin whales and humpbacks - saying there was insufficient evidence that the research objectives justified "the lethal sampling".

"When you study the ruling, it contains a section where they call on Japan to take another look at its whaling programme," said an official at the Fisheries Agency. "So there may well be an impact on other research whaling too."

The take in recent years has fallen off sharply, in part due to campaigns by anti-whaling groups, with only 103 minke killed in 2012-2013. By contrast, the Pacific hunt, which has garnered little attention, took 319 whales against its quota of 360 that same year, including three sperm whales.

The groups which carry out the whaling programme said last week in a court filing that they expect to resume whaling in the Antarctic from the 2015-2016 season, albeit with a modified programme.

Other observers say Japan might see this as a good chance to get out of whaling, given the expense of running the programme and refurbishing its ageing fleet even as appetite for whale drops.

Trudeau visits Sina Weibo
May gets little gasp as EU extends deadline for sufficient progress in Brexit talks
Ethiopian FM urges strengthened Ethiopia-China ties
Yemen's ex-president Saleh, relatives killed by Houthis
Most Popular
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 一级做a爰片欧美一区 | 麻豆回家视频区一区二 | 黄 色 片 在 线 看 | 欧美成人a级在线视频 | 成人精品网| 大学生久久香蕉国产线观看 | 人妖与黑人做爰 | 免费观看日本a毛片 | 亚洲无线乱码高清在线观看一区 | 三级视频欧美 | 亚欧综合 | 成人三级做爰在线观看男女 | 中文字幕1区| 美国免费一级片 | 一线高清视频在线观看www国产 | 青青青爽国产在线视频 | 青青草99热这里都是精品 | 免费成人黄色网址 | 国产精品福利在线观看秒播 | www.黄色在线| 国产99视频精品免费观看9e | 青青热久免费精品视频网站 | 美女黄18岁以下禁看 | 天天色国产 | 91久久精品国产亚洲 | 久久午夜网| 尤物网站在线观看 | 亚洲最大黄色 | 91精品国产欧美一区二区 | 日本特级爽毛片叫声 | 日本不卡一区二区三区视频 | 一区国严二区亚洲三区 | 亚洲精品色综合久久久 | 毛片一级片 | 尤物国产视频 | 尤物网站在线 | 日韩网站在线观看 | 欧美视频免费一区二区三区 | 国产在线不卡 | 国产精品久久久福利 | 中文字幕第13亚洲另类 |