三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
China / World

9/11 families get OK to sue Saudi Arabia

By Reuters in Washington (China Daily) Updated: 2016-09-30 07:41

US Congress rejects a call by Barack Obama not to move forward with the proposed law

Congress on Wednesday overwhelmingly rejected President Barack Obama's veto of legislation allowing relatives of the victims of the Sept 11, 2001, attacks to sue Saudi Arabia, the first veto override of his presidency, just four months before it ends.

The House of Representatives voted 348-77 against the veto, hours after the Senate rejected it 97-1, meaning the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act will become law.

The vote was a blow to Obama as well as to Saudi Arabia, one of the United States' longest-standing allies in the Arab world, and some lawmakers who sup-ported the override already plan to revisit the issue.

Obama said he thought the Congress had made a mis-take, reiterating his belief that the legislation set a dangerous precedent and indicating that he thought political considerations were behind the vote.

"If you're perceived as voting against 9/11 families right before an election, not surprisingly, that's a hard vote for people to take. But it would have been the right thing to do," he said on CNN.

Obama's 11 previous vetoes were all sustained. But this time almost all his strongest Democratic supporters in Congress joined Republicans to oppose him in one of their last actions before leaving Washington to campaign for the Nov 8 election.

Veto overrided

"Overriding a presidential veto is something we don't take lightly, but it was important in this case that the families of the victims of 9/11 be allowed to pursue justice, even if that pursuit causes some diplomatic discomforts," Senator Charles Schumer, a top Senate Democrat, said in a statement.

Schumer represents New York, site of the World Trade Center and home to many of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the attacks, survivors and families of victims.

The law, known as JASTA, passed the House and Senate without objections earlier this year.

Support was fueled by impatience in Congress with Saudi Arabia over its human rights record, promotion of a severe form of Islam tied to militancy and failure to do more to ease the international refugee crisis.

The law grants an exception to the legal principle of sovereign immunity in cases of terrorism on US soil, clearing the way for lawsuits seeking damages from the Saudi government.

Riyadh has denied long-standing suspicions that it backed the hijackers who attacked the United States in 2001. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals.

Family members had tied their last push for the bill to the 15th anniversary of the attacks this month, demon-strating outside the White House and Capitol. On Wednesday, two fire trucks displayed a giant US flag out-side the Senate.

"We rejoice in this triumph and look forward to our day in court and a time when we may finally get more answers regarding who was truly behind the attacks, "TerryStrada, whose husband died in the attacks, said in a statement.

Highlights
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 91精品国产91久久 | 久99频这里只精品23热 视频 | 美女性高潮视频 | 国产成人亚洲精品91专区手机 | 成人午夜小视频手机在线看 | 欧美精品一区二区在线观看 | 中文字幕不卡一区 二区三区 | xxxxxx国产精品视频 | 精品国产品国语在线不卡丶 | 91香蕉国产线在线观看免费 | 欧美成人午夜免费完成 | 免费视频爱爱太爽在线观看 | 日本欧美做爰全免费的视频 | 日韩一级片在线 | 欧美日比视频 | 久久青青成人亚洲精品 | 好叼操这里只有精品 | 免费在线黄色网址 | 最新国产在线播放 | 国产高清免费在线 | 国产精品短篇二区 | 婷婷99精品国产97久久综合 | 国产拍拍视频一二三四区 | 国产成人一区二区精品非洲 | 久久精品亚洲欧美日韩久久 | 成人夜间视频 | 国产免费不卡v片在线观看 国产免费不卡视频 | 日韩国产欧美在线观看一区二区 | 香蕉视频三级 | 国产免费黄色片 | 国产在线观看美女福利精 | 国产高清视频免费最新在线 | 国产精品福利片免费看 | 免费鲁丝片一级观看 | 日本在线看片网站 | 国产在线视频欧美亚综合 | 日本一级看片免费播放 | 综合亚洲精品一区二区三区 | 亚洲天堂三区 | 国产成人夜间影院在线观看 | 久久精品视频在线观看榴莲视频 |