三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / Top Stories

Manila clarifies Duterte's talk of US 'separation'

By Chen Weihua in Washington and Mo Jingxi in Beijing | China Daily USA | Updated: 2016-10-25 10:59

Senior US diplomats have breathed a sigh of relief after the Philippine government clarified what President Rodrigo Duterte called a "separation" from the United States.

US Secretary of State John Kerry telephoned his Philippine counterpart, Secretary of Foreign Affairs Perfecto Yasay, on Sunday to consult on bilateral and regional matters of mutual concerns, US State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Monday.

"The two foreign ministers discussed recent challenges affecting the relationship and noted that strong and stable relations that we have enjoyed are important for sustaining our rich people-to-people ties and our enduring security and economic interests," Kirby told the news daily briefing.

The phone call came after Daniel Russel, US assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs, arrived in Manila on Oct 22 to seek clarification from the Philippine side about Duterte's recent comment.

During his visit to China last week, Duterte announced at a business forum of a military and economic "separation" from the US. The message sent shock waves in the US. Duterte later clarified that he only meant a more independent foreign policy and not "severance of ties" with the US.

Duterte's latest message has been described by the US news media as Duterte's backtracking on his statement in Beijing. In Manila, Russel also said that "now President Duterte already walked back and explained that comment about 'separation'" with the US.

However, Yasay said that the government is not backtracking on separating Philippine foreign policy from the US. In an interview with CNN Philippines, he said the president's intended message is that the Philippines is freeing itself from America's tight grip on many of its affairs.

There has been widespread feeling in the region that the Philippines under previous President Benigno Aquino III, had been used by the US government to advance its rebalance to Asia strategy to confront China.

The US has since softened its tone about the region after Duterte assumed office on June 30 and indicated his willingness to work and cooperate with China on a wide range of issues. He has publicly blasted the US government and President Barack Obama for pointing fingers at his war on drugs at home.

In Manila, Russel surprisingly expressed US support for the war on drugs but continued to voice concerns about the death toll. "The US remains a steady and trusted partner, and strong ally," he said.

Russel said it's a mistake to think that improved relations with China must come at the expense of good relations with the US. "That's not the way we think about it. It should be addition, not subtraction," said Russel.

"We don't want countries to have to choose between the US and China - but we do want countries to be able to choose, to have choices, to have autonomy to make their own decisions in keeping with democratic values and keeping with international law," he said.

There had been no sign on Monday that Russel, who will depart Manila on Tuesday, will have a meeting with Duterte.

The warming China-Philippine relationship has been regarded by some in China and the US as a blow to Obama's rebalance to Asia strategy.

The strategy has been criticized for increasing tension with China. The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), while signed by the 12 Pacific Rim nations, is now regarded a long shot in getting ratified during the lame-duck session in Congress. Both presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton oppose TPP.

On Monday, the State Department announced that Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken will travel to Beijing on Oct 29 to meet with Executive Vice- Foreign Minister Zhan Yesui to conduct the third interim Strategic Security Dialogue, continung talks on issues such as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and maritime issues.

Thomas Christenson, a professor at Princeton University and a former deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs under the George W. Bush administration, criticized the public diplomacy of Obama's rebalance strategy and the zero-sum mentality in both countries.

"When China does the right thing, you have to applaud. And you can't always be looking to - looking like you're pushing back," he said of the US response to China's initiatives of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and the Belt and Road Initiative.

"This is what Duterte's predecessor had done, but Duterte has realized that this does not help the Philippines and decided to make an adjustment," Su Hao, a professor of Asia-Pacific studies at China Foreign Affairs University, said of Russel's comments.

Contact the writer at chenweihua@chinadailyusa.com

Editor's picks
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产美女视频一区二区二三区 | 啪啪网免费视频 | 国产大片91精品免费观看不卡 | 国产精品成人第一区 | 国产精品久久久久天天影视 | 国产精品久久久久久久久久日本 | 中文字幕国产在线 | 国产一级片在线 | 成人国产精品一区二区网站 | 成人国产日本亚洲精品 | 2020国产成人精品免费视频 | 日本乱人伦片中文三区 | 久热香蕉视频 | 亚洲精品国产专区91在线 | 欧美亚洲另类综合 | 毛片3| 国产精品成人h视频 | 一级黄色片免费播放 | 美国一级毛片完整高清 | 国产一级片免费观看 | 中文精品久久久久国产网站 | 噜噜噜在线视频 | 91激情视频| 欧美性色黄大片a级毛片视频 | s级毛片| 欧美黄色免费看 | 国产页 | 黄色网在线免费观看 | 九九在线免费视频 | 日本一级片在线播放 | 福利一区二区在线观看 | 久久这里精品青草免费 | 在线观看一级毛片免费 | 99久久一香蕉国产线看观看 | 成人欧美一区二区三区黑人免费 | 爽爽影院色黄网站在线观看 | 91探花在线视频 | 国产欧美视频在线观看 | 黄色性生活网站 | 精品视频一区二区 | 国产一级特黄aaaa大片野外 |