三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Europe

EU takes tit-for-tat steps against tariffs

Von der Leyen says countermeasures are strong as US levies come into effect

By CHEN WEIHUA in Brussels | China Daily Global | Updated: 2025-03-13 09:31
Share
Share - WeChat
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen attends a press conference in Brussels, Belgium March 6, 2025. [Photo/Agencies]

The European Union struck back against US tariffs on the bloc's steel and aluminum imports by announcing countermeasures on Wednesday.

The European Commission said it regrets the US decision to impose the steel and aluminum tariffs. The announcement came right after US President Donald Trump's 25 percent tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum, which was announced on Feb 10, took effect on Wednesday morning.

"We deeply regret this measure. Tariffs are taxes. They are bad for business, and even worse for consumers. These tariffs are disrupting supply chains. They bring uncertainty to the economy. Jobs are at stake. Prices will go up," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said.

"The countermeasures we take today are strong but proportionate."

According to the announced countermeasures, the commission will allow the suspension of existing 2018 and 2020 countermeasures against the US to lapse on April 1. These countermeasures target a range of US products that respond to the economic harm inflicted on 8 billion euros ($8.7 billion) of EU steel and aluminum exports.

The EU retaliated against Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs imposed during his first term in 2018 by applying tariffs on US products such as bourbon and motorcycles. The two sides reached a truce later to suspend each other's tariffs. But Trump's new tariff measures literally canceled the suspension deal.

The commission said in response to new US tariffs affecting more than 18 billion euros ($19.6 billion) of EU exports, the bloc was putting forward a package of new countermeasures on US exports. They will take effect by mid-April following consultation of EU member states and stakeholders.

This means the total EU countermeasures could apply to 26 billion euros ($28.4 billion) worth of US goods exports, matching the economic scope of the US tariffs.

Ready for talks

The commission said the EU remains ready to work with the US administration to find a negotiated solution. The measures announced on Wednesday can be reversed at any time should such a solution be found.

"I have entrusted Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic to resume his talks to explore better solutions with the US," von der Leyen said.

Sefcovic, who visited Washington last month trying to avert a trade war, had said earlier this week that the US was not "engaging" with the EU.

"A Europe without industry is weak and will not count anything at the international level. Steel means sovereignty. Without steel, there is no defense industry, no construction, no homes, no roads. It is the economic foundation of each country," the European Steel Association, or EUROFER, said on X hours before the announcement of the EU countermeasures.

EUROFER President Henrik Adam said in an early statement that Trump's 25 percent blanket tariffs on all steel imports are "a radical escalation of the trade war launched under his first administration".

"It will further worsen the situation of the European steel industry, exacerbating an already dire market environment," he said.

"Without an immediate tightening of the current safeguard quota regime, the deflection provoked by the new US steel tariffs will inevitably push EU steel capacity into additional idling and, ultimately, closure."

Malte Lohan, CEO of the American Chamber of Commerce to EU, or AmCham EU, which represents US companies in the EU, said on Wednesday that AmCham EU members oppose the new US tariffs.

"These tariffs, along with the EU's countermeasures, will only harm jobs, prosperity and security on both sides of the Atlantic. The two sides must de-escalate and find a negotiated outcome urgently," he said.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产成人在线视频播放 | 国产精品国产三级在线专区 | 黄网址在线永久免费观看 | 国产精品超清大白屁股 | 亚洲特黄 | 99精品国产自在现线观看 | 国模无水印一区二区三区 | 国产无套视频在线观看香蕉 | 最新国产一区二区精品久久 | 一级毛片免费视频日本 | 国产亚洲欧洲国产综合一区 | 国产污片在线观看 | 手机在线观看黄色网址 | 亚洲欧洲日韩国产aa色大片 | 在线国产资源 | 亚洲午夜精品 | 午夜黄页网站在线播放 | 色天天综合 | 亚洲高清在线看 | 亚洲精品色综合区 | 日韩免费观看视频 | 亚洲精品久久片久久 | 国产二区三区毛片 | 日本美女黄视频 | 在线看片日韩 | 久久午夜网 | 国产精品k | 日韩毛片在线播放 | 日韩一级a毛片欧美区 | 成人午夜网址 | 免费国产一级特黄aa大 | 国内精品久久久久香蕉 | 国产美女在线免费观看 | 片成年免费观看网站黄 | 国内国外精品一区二区 | 日韩高清特级特黄毛片 | 一级黄色片一级片 | 小明免费视频 | 久久99精品国产一区二区三区 | 国产永久一区二区三区 | 在线播放黄色网址 |