三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Europe

Early election looms as Portugal's government loses confidence vote

Updated: 2025-03-13 09:23
Share
Share - WeChat
Portuguese Prime Minister Luis Montenegro (center) attends a debate preceding a confidence vote at the Portuguese parliament in Lisbon on Tuesday. ARMANDO FRANCA/AP

LISBON — Portugal's center-right minority government collapsed on Tuesday after losing a vote of confidence, with the country now likely to head into its third early general election in as many years.

Lawmakers voted 142-88, with zero abstentions, against the motion of confidence that was presented last Thursday by Prime Minister Luis Montenegro, who has been in the job for 11 months. He called the vote after the opposition questioned his integrity over the dealings of a consultancy firm he founded and is now run by his sons.

Montenegro, 52, said at the start of a parliamentary debate on the vote of confidence that "I have committed no crime".

He denied wrongdoing or any ethical shortcomings by the firm, which has contracts with private companies.

"The insinuation that I mixed my business and political activity is completely abusive, and even insulting," Montenegro told parliament before the vote.

Montenegro's administration now assumes a caretaker role. It is now up to President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa to call a parliamentary election — after he consults the main political parties on Wednesday and his advisory Council of State on Thursday. He has said a new ballot could be held in mid-May.

The next general election in Portugal was scheduled for January 2028.

"We tried everything to avoid a snap election," Montenegro told reporters after the vote. His administration had tried to convince the main opposition Socialists to abstain from the vote, or to agree on terms for the government to withdraw the motion.

Montenegro said he had proposed that he face a parliamentary committee inquiry into his family's company that would last up to two months, something he had previously ruled out. The Socialists refused to negotiate setting a time limit.

Any lengthier investigation would have worn out the government, Montenegro said.

Socialist leader Pedro Nuno Santos labeled the attempts to negotiate just minutes before the vote "desperate and shameful", saying that Montenegro was the only one to blame for the crisis and was "unfit to govern".

An early ballot is all but inevitable, but analysts see no strong mandate for any political force emerging from it.

Voter fatigue

Voters are already showing election fatigue and disillusionment with politicians.

"This seems like a joke, no one understands why there's a new election so soon. Politicians blame each other, but all of them are being irresponsible," said Joao Brito, a 70-year-old retired civil servant in downtown Lisbon.

Political scientist Adelino Maltez of Lisbon University said opinion polls showed very little change in voter preferences from the March 2024 election, which Montenegro's Democratic Alliance, or AD, won by a slender margin — securing 80 seats in the 230-seat house.

The AD and the Socialists, who now have 78 seats, are neck-and-neck in most surveys.

Montenegro's Social Democrats are hoping that economic growth estimated at 1.9 percent last year, compared with the EU's 0.8 percent average, and a jobless rate of 6.4 percent, roughly the EU average, will keep their support firm.

"The problem is that the new election will not be conclusive.… The AD and the Socialists are tied. It is a situation that will be difficult for them to navigate," Maltez said. A centrist pact between the Social Democrats and the Socialists was the only solution, despite the differences in their policy proposals, he said.

The two main rivals had such an accord in parliament only once, in 1983-85.

"If they don't do it, it will be more of the same instability," Maltez said.

Agencies via Xinhua

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美视频一区二区在线观看 | 亚洲国产美女视频 | 8mav模特福利视频在线观看 | 国产91区精品福利在线社区 | 国产免费久久精品99re丫y | 欧美成人一区二区三区不卡视频 | 伊人蕉久中文字幕无码专区 | 一级毛片视频在线 | 亚洲精品一区二区不卡 | 国产一区在线免费观看 | 婷婷色香| 免费无限制观看黄的网址 | 国产精品宾馆在线精品酒店 | 国产线视频精品免费观看视频 | 欧美毛片在线播放观看 | 污污网站在线免费观看 | 亚洲经典激情春色另类 | 国产乱理伦片a级在线观看 国产乱理伦片在线观看 | 涩涩快播 | 国产日本韩国不卡在线视频 | 日韩字幕无线乱码 | 久久精品国产一区二区三区日韩 | 日韩免费高清一级毛片在线 | 日韩视频在线观看 | 91国在线观看 | 亚洲国产精品自在在线观看 | 香蕉视频禁止18 | 日本xxwwwxxxx网站 | 日本不卡视频一区二区三区 | 伊人干综合网 | 精品综合久久久久久97超人 | 人人婷婷色综合五月第四人色阁 | 精品视频久久 | 一区二区影视 | 国产原创中文字幕 | 欧美一级毛片免费看高清 | 一级特色黄大片 | 日韩国产在线播放 | 免费毛片软件 | 一级午夜a毛片免费视频 | 国产小视频福利 |