三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Europe

Europe welcomes possible ceasefire in Ukraine while preparing for future security guarantees

Xinhua | Updated: 2025-03-12 09:14
Share
Share - WeChat

PARIS - Ukraine agreed on Tuesday to a US proposal for an "immediate, interim 30-day ceasefire" following talks with a US delegation in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, according to a joint statement.

The talks, notably held without European participation, resulted in the statement that Ukraine would receive renewed US security assistance and America got preliminary approval for access to Ukraine's mineral resources.

Despite being left out of negotiations, European leaders welcomed the progress made between the United States and Ukraine while continuing efforts to strengthen the continent's defense capabilities.

After the joint statement, European leaders showed their support for the proposed ceasefire, looking forward to a hopeful response from Russia.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described the meeting as "good and constructive" on the social media platform X. "Now, it is up to the United States to convince Russia to do the same. If Russia agrees, the ceasefire will take effect immediately," he stated.

French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer both welcomed the ceasefire proposal.

On X, Macron voiced his support for the discussions, stressing that "the ball is now clearly in Russia's court". He reaffirmed France's commitment to a "solid and lasting peace, backed by robust security guarantees for Ukraine".

Similarly, Starmer described Ukraine's acceptance of the ceasefire as a positive step, adding, "As both American and Ukrainian delegations have said, the ball is now in the Russian court."

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen also praised the US-Ukraine talks as a potential step toward "a comprehensive, just, and lasting peace for Ukraine". She reiterated that the EU was prepared to play an active role in the upcoming peace negotiations.

As diplomatic efforts continue, Europe is also preparing for long-term security guarantees for Ukraine.

On Tuesday, France hosted a meeting of some 30 military chiefs of its partner nations to draft a plan for credible security guarantees in the event of a peace agreement with Russia.

According to Le Monde, Macron urged military leaders to "move from concept to plan" to ensure stable and lasting peace in Ukraine. The report said participants agreed that security guarantees must align with NATO's capabilities and provide "credible, long-term support for the Ukrainian army". However, the United States, NATO's most powerful member, was absent from the discussions.

Beyond Ukraine's security, Europe is also working to enhance its own defense capabilities amid concerns over the reliability of US support. On Wednesday, defense ministers from France, Britain, Germany, Italy, and Poland will meet in Paris to discuss European rearmament and military aid for Ukraine.

Last week, European leaders endorsed the ReArm Europe plan, introduced by von der Leyen, marking a major step toward greater EU defense autonomy. The plan includes an 800-billion-euro (873 billion US dollars) initiative to boost military spending across the bloc, with a 150-billion-euro (164 billion US dollars) loan program to help EU nations invest in critical military assets.

As European leaders push for stronger military capabilities, analysts remain divided over the feasibility of these plans.

Croatian geopolitical analyst Vlatko Cvrtila told Bulgarian daily newspaper Dnevnik that while Europe is taking steps toward military independence, major challenges remain.

"Europe has woken up, that is evident, but it is still wandering," he said. "Where will these billions come from? And do we even have a European defense industry capable of meeting our needs?" He warned that fully developing Europe's defense industry could take a decade.

Armand Gosu, a professor at the University of Bucharest, acknowledged the obstacles to rearming Europe in an interview with Romanian news website Contributors.ro.

Recalling NATO's history, he noted that every time the idea of "a European army" - often championed by France and Germany - surfaced, "the Americans have launched deterrence campaigns, manipulating and maneuvering between European countries to bury any project of this type."

However, Gosu stressed that Europe "can and must do something". Rather than forming a European army, he suggested that a core group of European nations - Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Poland - could develop a more integrated defense framework capable of responding to future threats.

Highlighting the weakening influence of the United States, Gosu argued that the American shield no longer works. "Europe will have to learn to do without America, though it will be difficult."

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产成人高清在线观看播放 | 欧美高清免费精品国产自 | 久久99精品波多结衣一区 | 草草草在线 | 久久 91 | 草逼视频免费观看 | 日本二级黄色片 | 欧美精品亚洲精品日韩 | 欧美日韩在线高清 | 曰韩一级毛片 | 国产美女久久久亚洲 | 小明www永久在线看 小明www永久免费播放平台 | 亚洲精品一二三 | 日韩在线视频不卡一区二区三区 | 久久国产精品2020盗摄 | 在线免费看黄视频 | 黄色影视在线 | 日韩毛片在线 | 尤物网在线观看 | 免费看成人毛片日本久久 | 亚洲一区二区久久 | a毛片在线免费观看 | 小明成人免费永久性看看 | 欧美亚洲国产日韩一区二区三区 | 不卡的在线视频免费观看 | 中文字幕在线观看一区 | 国产成人精品视频2021 | 欧美一级毛片欧美一级成人毛片 | 婷婷精品在线 | 麻豆网站视频国产在线观看 | 日本精品久久久久中文字幕 1 | 国产一区二区三区在线影院 | 国产精品免费看久久久麻豆 | 亚洲视频二区 | 亚洲精品美女在线观看播放 | 成年超爽大片免费视频播放 | 免费a大片| 大乳女人做受视频免费观看 | 国产黄在线播放免费观看 | 大陆精品自在线拍国语 | 国产喷水视频 |