三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Sports
Home / Sports / Olympic Games

Devastating LA fires prompt hot debate on 2028 Olympics safety

Updated: 2025-01-16 10:00
Share
Share - WeChat
LA Clippers stand for a moment recognizing fire damage before a home game against the Miami Heat on Monday. REUTERS

LOS ANGELES, California — The Los Angeles wildfire disaster has cast a shadow over preparations for the 2028 Olympics, raising questions over whether the city can deliver a safe and successful edition of the Games.

So far, none of the more than 80 venues due to stage Olympic competition in Los Angeles have been directly affected by the infernos that have left at least 24 people dead and reduced entire neighborhoods to smouldering ruins.

But experts say the ongoing disaster has underscored the challenges of staging the world's largest sporting event in a region increasingly under threat of wildfires.

"The situation is clearly grave and given the prospect of significant climate change, you do have to wonder whether the current situation might be repeated, possibly even during the Games," Simon Chadwick, professor of sport and geopolitical economy at Skema Business School in Paris told British daily The iPaper.

"This raises very serious questions, not least about insurance, and whether Los Angeles' big-ticket 2028 attraction might be about to become an uninsurable mega event."

While the flames that razed Pacific Palisades came uncomfortably close to the Riviera Country Club — which will host 2028's Olympic golf tournament — the overwhelming majority of venues are situated outside what would be regarded as high-risk fire zones.

Historical data, meanwhile, indicates that the chances of a similar disaster erupting during the 2028 Olympics are highly unlikely.

Prior to last week, no fire in Los Angeles County had appeared on a list of the 20 most destructive fires in California history, according to statistics provided by CalFire, the state's fire agency.

The 2028 Olympics will also be taking place in July, a time of year when there are no Santa Ana winds, the powerful seasonal gusts widely seen as the biggest factor behind the unprecedented scale and scope of last week's carnage.

And Los Angeles has already staged the Olympics successfully on two occasions — in 1984 and 1932.

'Lessons learned'

Bill Deverell, a professor of history at the University of Southern California, said the ongoing disaster could provide important lessons for 2028.

"Once this is over ... there's no question that we would expect that there would be lessons learned about ways we could presumably try to mitigate cataclysmic disasters like this," Deverell told AFP.

Pennsylvania State University professor Mark Dyreson has floated the idea of the Olympics being moved to 2024 host Paris if LA was unable to deliver the games.

"They could go back to Paris," the academic told the New York Post. "It would be unfortunate, but I'm sure they have some kind of committee — the IOC is a huge bureaucracy — that allegedly looks at contingencies."

California governor Gavin Newsom, however, told NBC's "Today "morning program that planning for the 2028 Olympics and the FIFA World Cup in 2026 — where eight matches take place in Los Angeles — was on track.

Newsom said the flurry of major sporting events in Los Angeles over the next few years — the city will also host the Super Bowl in 2027 — should be seen as an opportunity.

"My humble position, and it's not just being naively optimistic, (is) that only reinforces the imperative (of) moving quickly, doing it in the spirit of collaboration and cooperation," Newsom told NBC.

Conservative pundits however have wasted no time in demanding that Los Angeles be stripped of the Olympics.

"The Los Angeles Olympics should be canceled," right-wing provocateur Charlie Kirk wrote on X last week.

"If you can't fill a fire hydrant, you aren't qualified to host the Olympics. Move them to Dallas, or Miami, so the world's athletes can compete in a place capable of actually safely building and running something."

USC expert Deverell however said there was little chance of the Games being canceled or moved because of the disaster.

"The general assumption this means we should cancel the Olympics — I don't buy that premise, and that's not going to happen," he said.

Los Angeles 2028 organizers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

AFP

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产福利视精品永久免费 | 久久久久国产精品美女毛片 | 黄色永久免费 | 色射影院 | 国产91在线 | 日韩 | 在线播放免费人成毛片乱码 | 一级日本大片免费观看视频 | 亚洲国产精品第一区二区 | 91免费精品国偷自产在线在线 | 在线看片网站 | 国产精欧美一区二区三区 | 真人毛片免费拍拍拍aa视频 | 色婷婷色99国产综合精品 | 国产精品成人观看视频国产奇米 | 在线视频中文字幕乱人伦 | 美女吊黑视频在线观看 | 亚洲成熟xxxxx电影 | 女人午夜色又刺激黄的视频免费 | 久热中文字幕在线观看 | 99久久免费精品 | 日韩一区二区三区在线播放 | 亚洲国产99999在线精品一区 | 国产一区二区三区欧美精品 | 久草免费在线播放 | 成人毛片18女人毛片 | 欧美日韩在线亚洲国产人 | 大学生毛片a左线播放 | 色综合图片二区150p | 国产闫盼盼私拍福利精品视频 | 日韩做爰视频免费 | 特级av毛片免费观看 | 亚洲最大成人综合网 | 亚洲高清专区 | 美国黄色片网站 | 国产精品久久久久久久久免费 | 亚洲小视频 | a黄色一级 | 噜噜噜福利视频在线观看 | 久久久久国产一级毛片高清片 | 国产目拍亚洲精品区一区 | 亚洲人成伊人成综合网久久 |