三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Opinion
Home / Opinion / Editorials

Biden administration trying to straightjacket its successor into carrying on its 'chip war': China Daily editorial

chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2024-12-24 20:26
Share
Share - WeChat

Shortly after US Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo complained to the media that the United States' attempt to curb China's catch-up in the advanced semiconductor sector through export restrictions was "a fool's errand", the Joe Biden administration initiated an investigation on Monday under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 with the aim of stymieing China's development of its lower- and middle-end chip industry.

A statement from the White House said that the investigation will examine China's "targeting of foundational semiconductors (also known as legacy or mature node chips) for dominance" and the impact on the US economy, as well as making an initial assessment of the impact of "China's acts, policies, and practices on the production of silicon carbide substrates or other wafers used as inputs into semiconductor fabrication".

US Trade Representative Katherine Tai claimed that "The investigation underscores the Biden-Harris Administration's commitment to standing up for American workers and businesses, increasing the resilience of critical supply chains, and supporting the unparalleled investment being made in this industry."

That's simply absurd as the investigation will necessarily harm the interests of those parties that the Biden administration claims it aims to protect, since Tai said that the investigation will extend to determining the extent that they are incorporated as components in downstream products for critical industries such as defense, medical devices, aerospace, telecommunications, automobiles, and power generation and the electrical grid.

And despite the US' export restrictions, the transactions in chip-related items between China and the US still amount to billions of dollars each year, as Raimondo admitted. That means those trading US companies will necessarily be affected by the latest politicized moves of the US.

In a statement released on Monday, the Office of the US Trade Representative shamelessly accused China's efforts to "achieve indigenization and self-sufficiency" in the semiconductor industry as "extensive anticompetitive and nonmarket means" that "threaten detrimental impacts" on the US.

In actuality, they are responses to the "chip war" the US launched against the country. The latest move encompasses almost all the backbone industries of the Chinese economy, leaving the Chinese side no choice but to steeply upgrade its countermeasures to defend its development interests.

China launched its first US-targeted third-party-included export restrictions on the end-use or end-purpose of some China-sourced key minerals earlier this month after the US put 136 Chinese entities in the advanced chip industry on its Entity List.

China's strong countermeasures prompted Washington to retaliate by levying punitive tariffs on Chinese exports of tungsten products and polysilicon to the US, among other things. They may have also served to precipitate the US' latest move that represents a significant escalation and expanding of the US' "chip war" against China, extending it from the high-end chip niche to an across-the-board scale.

Biden's national security advisor, Jake Sullivan, told the media on Sunday that he is skeptical that the Donald Trump administration could make any sort of "grand bargain" with China to resolve all the sore spots in the US-China relationship.

By laying its trump card on the table shortly before leaving office, the Biden administration is trying to make sure of that. Despite the irrational self-harming nature of the moves, the incoming administration will face tremendous pressure to adhere to them, given the "political correctness" on China in Washington.

That explains the true purpose of the Biden administration's latest move targeting China's complete semiconductor industry.

But since the USTR has requested consultations with the Chinese government in relation to the investigation, it would appear that the new administration will have an opening to strike a deal.

Since Beijing seems sure to respond to the US' latest move, both sides will be hoping to hold the advantage when it gets down to the nitty-gritty of give-and-take.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美一级毛片在线观看 | 成人性欧美丨区二区三区 | 亚洲图片在线播放 | 国产麻豆媒一区一区二区三区 | 国产成人久久久精品一区二区三区 | 免费在线观影网站 | 国产三级久久久精品麻豆三级 | 国产一区2区 | 最新黄色地址 | 国产午夜在线观看 | 一本一道dvd在线播放器 | 亚洲人成网站在线播放观看 | 成人精品美女隐私漫画 | 中文字幕在线观看一区 | 一级片在线免费播放 | 久久久久青草大香线综合精品 | 全国男人的天堂网站 | 亚洲第一页中文字幕 | 在线中文字幕第一页 | 日本高清视频一区二区 | 免费网站看黄 | 免费网站看v片在线香蕉 | 中日韩黄色大片 | 欧美特黄三级成人 | 一日本道加勒比高清一二三 | 国产欧美精品亚洲桃花岛 | 毛片黄片一级片 | 国产超级碰碰在线公开视频 | 国产在线拍揄自揄视精品不卡 | 国产精品成人免费福利 | 精品视频福利 | 日本黄色片在线免费观看 | 老色批影院 | 日韩毛片大全免费高清 | 欧美日韩亚洲精品国产色 | 亚洲一区在线观看视频 | 国产在线每日更新 | 日韩不卡视频在线 | 免费jizz在在线播放国产 | 免费的看黄网站 | 精品视频在线免费 |