三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Opinion
Home / Opinion / Editorials

Israel should step back from the brink: China Daily editorial

chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2024-11-12 20:02
Share
Share - WeChat
Photo shows the ruins after an airstrike on Lebanon's eastern city of Baalbek, on Nov 9, 2024. [Photo/Xinhua]

Israel launched what it described as "precise and targeted" strikes on "military targets" in Iran on Oct 26, as part of its response to the Iranian ballistic missile attack at the start of the month.

The Israeli strikes reportedly did significant damage to the Iranian air defenses as well as missile launch facilities, emphasizing Israel's conventional military superiority. The attacks are judged to have demonstrated the vulnerability of Iran's air defenses and exposed the limitations of its regional deterrence strategy, as the United Kingdom's defense and security think tank, United Royal Services Institute, has said. That seems to have prompted Tel Aviv to raise its military sights once again, judging by the remarks of Israel's new defense minister, Israel Katz, at a meeting on Monday.

Apart from vowing to achieve the country's goals of returning hostages and defeating Hamas in Gaza and reiterating there will be no cease-fire in Lebanon and no respite for Hezbollah, Katz also hinted that Israel might attack Iran's nuclear facilities. "Iran today is more exposed than ever to damage to its nuclear facilities. There is a possibility to achieve the most important goal, to thwart and remove the threat of annihilation from hanging over the State of Israel," Katz said.

As the country's new defense chief, Katz may be eager to show he is fully on board the Israeli prime minister's military agenda, as fidelity to Benjamin Netanyahu's war aims is a nonnegotiable requirement for the job. His predecessor was abruptly sacked after losing the prime minister's trust on that score last week.

But such a stance plays into the hands of Israeli hard-liners who are seeking to take their aggression to Iran. It is no secret that the unswerving support from the United States, Israel's close ally, has emboldened the Jewish state to pursue higher and grander military and strategic goals in the region, with its military offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip expanding to campaigns against Iran's regional proxies Hezbollah and the Houthis.

The result of the US presidential election is thus another factor that may have factored into Israel's calculations. It is believed that Israel would be unable to do significant damage to Iran's nuclear facilities without the help of the United States military. But the Joe Biden administration had made it clear that Israel could count on the US' help should Teheran ever build a nuclear weapon, but now was not the time.

As US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said at the time, the long-range B-2 stealth bomber strikes against the Houthis in Yemen were a demonstration of the US military's ability to strike hard-to-reach facilities, "no matter how deeply buried underground, hardened, or fortified".

But with Donald Trump, a staunch supporter of Israel, winning the election, Tel Aviv may be sending the message, that a strike on Iran's nuclear facilities should be carried out sooner rather than being a remote possibility.

With the backing of the next US administration, Tel Aviv will certainly hope to gain more direct support for its war aims, which does not bode well for the region.

China continues to call on all parties involved in the tensions between Israel and Iran to exercise caution and avoid escalating the situation. It opposes any actions violating the sovereignty and undermining the security of countries, and opposes the abuse of force. It urges the international community, especially major countries with influence, to take concrete actions to play a constructive role and create the necessary conditions for the de-escalation of regional tensions.

It is high time the US stopped its enabling of Israel's military actions and did more to restore peace and stability in the Middle East. Both Washington and Tel Aviv should abide by relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions as they are binding on all UN member states. Israel, in particular, must stop taking actions that further escalate the situation, and the US must stop giving Tel Aviv its seal of approval.

Though both were perceived as measured retaliations, the tension that has ensued from the recent strikes has put the world on edge about the possibility of a full-scale war in the region.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 91久久亚洲国产成人精品性色 | 国产精品视频久久久久 | 宅宅午夜亚洲精品 | 成人啪啪免费视频 | 日本黄色大片免费看 | 午夜在线免费视频 | 久久精品国产精品亚洲综合 | 亚洲欧美综合在线观看 | 国产精品欧美韩国日本久久 | 国产高清视频一区二区 | 免费看黄色毛片 | 久久er热这里只有精品免费 | 日本玖玖视频 | 四色草视频 | 亚洲欧洲日韩国产一区二区三区 | 一级一级一片免费 | 97超级碰碰碰碰在线视频 | 亚洲精品区 | 日韩欧美在线观看一区 | 91久久国产成人免费观看资源 | 国产伦码精品一区二区 | 国产手机在线αⅴ片无码观看 | 草久影院| www.一级毛片 | 国产馆在线观看视频 | 看中国一级毛片 | 一级成人a毛片免费播放 | 日韩二区三区 | 日韩一级在线观看 | 免费观看女人高清视频 | 香港aa三级久久三级不卡 | 四虎884aa永久播放地址http | 欧美日韩a∨毛片一区 | 丁香色婷婷国产精品视频 | 综合激情区视频一区视频二区 | 热久久伊人| 亚洲地址一地址二地址三 | 久久精品人人做人人爽 | 高h喷水荡肉爽文np肉色文 | a毛片免费观看 | 精品毛片视频 |