三级aa视频在线观看-三级国产-三级国产精品一区二区-三级国产三级在线-三级国产在线

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / Hong Kong

Jimmy Lai's bid to end trial dismissed by judges

By FANG XUE in Hong Kong | China Daily | Updated: 2024-07-26 08:33
Share
Share - WeChat

The High Court of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region said on Thursday that prosecutors appear to have sufficient evidence to proceed with the national security trial of Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, founder of the now-defunct tabloid Apple Daily, and dismissed the defendant's bid to end the trial.

The three judges designated to hear Lai's case told the court they had found that Lai has "a case to answer" on the three charges against him — two counts of collusion with foreign forces, which violates the National Security Law for Hong Kong, and a third count of conspiracy to print and distribute seditious publications — as the high-profile case entered its 92nd day since the trial began on Dec 18.

The trial will be adjourned until Nov 20; the defense said that Lai has chosen to defend himself in court.

Under Hong Kong's legal system, if a defendant in a trial pleads not guilty and the prosecution completes its examination of the witnesses and closes the case, the court will consider if there is a "case to answer".

If there is, this indicates that the evidence presented by the prosecution has been deemed strong enough to support pursuing the allegations, and the trial can proceed. Otherwise, the accused will be acquitted.

Earlier in the trial, Lai's legal team said that his cooperation with different organizations and his publication of materials encouraging international sanctions against Hong Kong and the nation took place before the NSL's implementation on June 30, 2021.

The defense said that fulfilling those agreements had been frustrated by the implementation of the NSL, and that the prosecution would only be able to establish what Lai's intentions were before the implementation of the NSL.

The prosecution said the agreements that Lai had signed did not automatically expire following the implementation of the NSL, and Lai's interviews, op-ed articles, and the testimony of witnesses and other evidence show that Lai continued to participate in the same activities after the implementation of the NSL.

The sedition charge and one of the collusion charges were also brought against three Apple Daily-related companies.

An additional collusion charge against Lai has been left on court file at the prosecution's request.

According to the NSL, a person who is convicted of colluding with external forces to endanger national security in a grave manner could be sentenced to life imprisonment or fixed-term imprisonment of no less than 10 years.

Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
 
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产美女91呻吟求 | 精品国产福利第一区二区三区 | 高清毛片在线看高清 | 国产美女在线播放 | 精品日产1区2区 | 欧美成人高清免费大片观看 | 国产欧美一区二区精品性色 | 手机看片自拍 | xvideos中国入口 | 亚洲精彩视频 | 日本一视频一区视频二区 | 欧美日本黄色片 | 草草影院ccyy国产日本欧美 | 美国一级黄色毛片 | 国产精品观看 | 精品国模一区二区三区 | 国产午夜视频在线 | 亚洲 欧美 手机 在线观看 | 在线亚洲精品国产成人二区 | 欧美一区二区放荡人妇 | 精品久久国产老人久久综合 | 亚洲欧美另类在线 | 清纯唯美亚洲综合激情 | 色婷婷五 | 农村寡妇一级毛片免费播放 | 欧美高清性色生活片免费观看 | 久久久久久久99精品免费观看 | 国产酒店自拍 | 99在线精品国产不卡在线观看 | 日本欧美中文字幕人在线 | 成人日批视频 | 国产精品亚洲专区一区 | 国产农村妇女一级毛片视频片 | 日韩欧美第一区二区三区 | 久久影视一区 | 久久色婷婷 | 欧美日韩在线永久免费播放 | 国产女主播一二三区丝袜美腿 | pans全部视频在线观看 | 韩国淫片 | av蜜桃|